Improving your Shared Ownership home

We want you to make the most of your home and know you may want to make improvements.

As your Shared Ownership home was provided using government funds, we need to approve any major home improvements before you carry them out, in order to protect this investment.

The good news is that we agree most requests for home improvements and you don’t need to let us know about repairs, maintenance, or decoration.

What counts as a “home improvement”?

This list covers what is considered as a home improvement. You will need to get permission before you carry out these works and the value added by them will be taken into account if you buy more shares in your home at a later date.

• Installation of double glazed windows/doors (if there was no double glazing before)
• Installation of central heating (if there was no central heating before)
• New fitted kitchen
• New bathroom suite
• Addition of a conservatory
• Extension
• Loft conversion
• Addition of a porch
• Addition of a new garage/car port
• Addition of a new driveway and dropped kerb
• Cavity wall insulation


What is classed as "repairs & maintenance"?

This list covers things which are counted as “repairs and maintenance” but is not exhaustive. You need to let us know if you are carrying these out as permission may be required and we will need to check your lease. As your lease sets out the need to maintain your home to a good standard, and these things do not typically improve the value of a property, they will not be taken into account if you buy more shares.

• Redecorating your home
• Fitted wardrobes
• New fence
• New patio/decking
• Garden landscaping
• Garden structures (e.g. summer houses, sheds)
• Replacement central heating boiler
• Rewiring or re-plumbing
• Replacement windows
• Rendering or texturing to the exterior of the property
• Repairing damage or wear and tear to the property
• Floor coverings (e.g. new carpets, laminate, or wooden flooring)

What information do I need to give Radian?

Please send us a list of the improvements you are planning along with quotes for the cost and plans/planning permission if applicable. We will then write out to you giving our approval.

Once you have completed the work, just send us receipts or photos so we can keep the evidence on your file.

What costs will there be?

Radian charge £42.00 (inc VAT) to consent to home improvements.This fee is payable on application. If the work is extensive and a surveyor visit is required, a further fee of £65 (inc VAT) is payable.

Please note retrospective permission requests will be £60 (inc VAT).

What else do I need to know?

If you do not get Radian’s written permission for home improvements, we won’t be able to take the added value into account if you buy more shares in your home. If you have our written permission, when you come to buy further shares, you can ask the valuer to give an open market valuation and a valuation without the improvements you’ve made. For more information on this, please see our ‘Buying More Shares’ guide.

If you need to let us know about any home improvements, please email or call us on 0800 145 6663.

News & Events

Radian and Yarlington become Abri
Read more
Happy family welcomes community spirit a...
Read more
Easter Arts & Crafts Giveaway!
Read more
Get gardening this spring!
Read more

Latest Properties

Blanchard House

See more
Juno House

See more
Chaffinch Gardens

See more

Help you move

Your handy guide to Shared Ownership
Find out more
Looking to rent with Radian Homes?
Find out more
Read our customer testimonials
Find out more